My mom has always been a muffin lover. I remember waking up many mornings to the aroma of her newest creations. As she grew older, she started making “healthier” muffins, full of all sorts of unusual ingredients that I was not so fond of as a kid. She is almost 80 now and not able to bake like she once did. However, last week I brought her some of our fabulous 100% pastured lard (which is once again gaining popularity as a healthy fat source). She immediately pulled out her favourite blueberry muffin recipe, eager to give it a try.
I went for a visit last night and was unexpectedly greeted by the wonderful smells and tastes of my childhood and thought I would share her recipe here with you all.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tsp baking powder
2/4 cup milk
1/3 cup melted lard
1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
1 Tbsp grated lemon rind (yellow part only)
2 Tbsp sugar
- Grease 12 medium muffin tins or line with paper baking cups
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F
- In mixing bowl sift and mix all dry ingredients together
- In medium bowl, beat egg; add milk and melted butter
- Add liquid to dry ingredients all at once, stirring until just moistened.
- Gently stir in blueberries
- Spoon into muffin tins filling about 3/4 full
- Combine lemon zest with sugar and sprinkle over tops of batter
- Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched
- Remove to wire rack to cool
Written by Joelle